Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Poached Figs

Making these made me feel like a super adult. Like I was having a fancy soiree. An ugly sweater soiree. But, anyway, these are also really easy to make. This is just another tasty recipe from the Beekman Heirloom cookbook.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped into the pan *
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds**
8 whole cloves***
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 strips lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 pound dried figs

* Or, if you don't have $11 to shell out for a bean, just use some vanilla extract. I used enough for it to make a "plop" sound when it hit the pan, and I decided that it'd do. AND IT DID.
** Ground coriander? Sure, why not?
*** 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

The Beekman Boys suggest serving this with Blaak cheese, but I didn't do that. A good substitute if Gruyere if you're interested in doing that.

In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups of water, the brown sugar, the vanilla, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, the bay leaf, pepper, salt, lime zest, and the lime juice. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat and let it have a little party there for five minutes.


My bay leaf looked a little lonely, so I added another one in there. 

Then you pop your figs in and cover your pan. The figs can soak for 30 to 40 minutes. You have to let the figs cool in that liquid too. Then you can serve the little lovelies up.



Figgy wigs.


They absorbed the flavors well, and people seemed to enjoy them. I liked the taste myself, but they wouldn't be something I would sit and eat like a snack with multiples at one go. They're a perfect little food for a party spread though, where your guests can enjoy a few as the evening rolls on. (Added bonus, they make your home smell awesome when they're simmering and for a few hours after.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs