Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Harvest Pork Chili

This recipe was originally for beef, but I don't eat beef so I substituted pork. It also calls for pumpkin, but said that another winter squash could be substituted. I used butternut.

The recipe for this can be found online here.

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/4 pounds well-marbled beef chuck, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
  • 1 1/2 pounds pumpkin (or other winter squash, such as kabocha), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 cups cooked pinto beans (one 15-ounce can, rinsed)




















DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the oil over medium heat in a 5 or 6-quart Dutch oven. Dredge the meat in the flour, shaking off the excess. Working in batches (this is so the meat browns, rather than steams), add the beef and cook until browned all over, about 7 minutes. As you work, transfer the meat to a bowl.

Add the garlic, onions and bell peppers and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 7 minutes.

Stir in the coriander, cocoa powder, cumin, paprika and ancho chile powder. Return the meat to the pan and stir until well coated. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, the pumpkin, tomato paste and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake until the meat is tender, 1 hour 30 minutes.

Stir in the beans, return to the oven, and bake for 10 more minutes.

I had the same problem with this recipe that we did with the Beer Braised Beef. It needed a lot more seasoning than what the recipe suggested. It was pretty flavorless overall, and it didn't have the kick I'd want in a chili.

Also, in the future, I think I'd use black beans. That's just a personal preference though.




I didn't take many pictures when I was cooking. Mostly because I was cooking alone, so I couldn't sneak pictures over someone else's shoulder.



There's my partially cooked/browned pork.


And there it is, all mixed together as an end result. If you make it, I'd up all the spices and add some red pepper in there for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs