Saturday, December 29, 2012

Fall: The Beekman Recipes in Review

Soups:

Roasted Cauliflower and Apple Soup
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Cheese Toast Topped Onion Soup


Salads:

Roasted Beet Tangle
Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad

Entrees:

Sauteed Chicken with Apples
Blue Cheese Pizza with Carmelized Onions and Apples
Beer Braised Beef with Onion Dumplings
Hungarian Pork Goulash
Butternut Squash Filled Lasagna Rolls
Roasted Pork Loin with Gingerbread Stuffing
Chicken Succotash
Harvest Pork Chili

Deserts:

Apple Crumb Cake
Applesauce
Caramelized Pear Bread Pudding
Apple Butter Turnovers
Red Wine and Spice Poached Pears
Baked Apple Dumplings
Orange Gingerbread and Bourbon Custard *
Rustic Apple Pie

Other:

Pumpkin Cheese Bread
Butter Crumbed Cauliflower
Leek & Potato Gratin
Mulled Cider
Braised Fennel
Basic Pie Crust
Butter Stewed Lima Beans
Mushroom Pilaf

*Technically a recipe from the winter section, but we made it in the fall.

My Top Five:

This was pretty hard for me since I liked so many of the recipes, but some stand out more than others. Usually, these are the recipes that tasted great, were something new to me, and were easy to make.

When it comes to the soups, I'd have to say the Broccoli Cheddar Soup. I know it's something you can easily get anywhere, but this is the best one I've had. Plus, I feel like it's healthier since I'm the one making it, and I know just what is going in there. It was easy to do, and I could see myself making it again in the future. (It doesn't hurt that I love soup either.)

For the entrees, I'm going to pick the Hungarian Pork Goulash. I didn't think this would be something I enjoyed, but it's a total feel good food. It's warm and hearty with good flavors that blend well. I also like it because it's easy for me to bring to work and it's one of those foods that tastes just as good (if not better) re-heated.

In the desert category, the Apple Crumb Cake is a solid choice. It's easy to make, looks good when you're done, and it tastes so stinking good. It holds well, and it stayed moist over time. Granted, it didn't last long because people eat tasty things, but that's just another vote in its favor.

Ok, this one is going to sound dorky, but the Basic Pie Crust really won me over. It's not something you're going to eat alone, and it's not particularly special, but it's a darn good pie crust. Really, having a good pie crust recipe is a good trick to have up your sleeve because it means you're well on your way to making really good pies.

And, lastly, the Red Wine and Spice Poached Pears gave me multiple reasons to like them. You can stuff them with various things, and they're so tasty. Plus, they make your whole home smell wonderful, and they look lovely plated.

I hope you find these recipes as wonderful as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs