Sunday, October 21, 2012

Braised Fennel

I've been using a lot more fennel than I have in a long while, but I really like the flavor of it. I can't believe all of the different ways it can be used, especially since I'd never even realized it existed beyond a seed this year. (I mean, I knew the seed came from somewhere, but it never occurred to me to find out where and to see if it was edible.)


This recipe calls for us to use Pernod, but Pernod is quite expensive. It's also only sold in large bottles (at least from what I've seen), and I don't think I'm going to be using Pernod to cook all the time either. So, we substituted with Sambuca, which is fairly similar and sold in smaller bottles.

It's incredible easy to make, but if you don't like licorice, it might not be the recipe for you. Fennel has a licorice flavor, and it's only enhanced even more with the Sambuca in there.

I couldn't find the recipe online, but a similar one can be found here at The Kitchn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs