Saturday, October 27, 2012

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

This isn't a recipe from the Beekman Blog, but something a friend of mine suggested I try because it's quick and healthy. Obviously it tastes good, otherwise I wouldn't be putting it on the blog.

Quinoa is easy to find, and it's full of protein and fiber, which are both important.

I think my favorite thing about it is that when it fully cooks, it kind of looks like a little UFO or Saturn because there's a thin band that puffs out around the middle.

You boil your quinoa first to cook it, and while it's boiling you hollow out your bell peppers.


Sorry about the weird shadows. They're me and the peppers.

Then, you add whatever you like to your quinoa. I like to use lemon juice, capers, scallions, garlic, shallots, and sometimes other pieces of the pepper, but really it's up to you. There's plenty of herbs and vegetables you can use. I bet asparagus would be great now that I think about it. Some spinach. But keep in mind you'd have to cook the asparagus and spinach before you use it.


There I go, adding in capers.


I'm pretty sure I'm adding red pepper here.

Once you have it all mixed in well, you stuff your red pepper with it. 


If you cut it right, you can use your top as a little lid. Then you pop it in the oven at 350 degrees until the pepper starts to look soft and a little wrinkly (about 15 minutes).


As you can see, I didn't cut the one on the left properly, so I had more of a ring to put on it. (I guess I liked it.)

Quick, simple, and filling.

Quinoa can be used for a lot of things. Cooking it with orange juice and cranberries would make an excellent breakfast idea with more health value oatmeal. 

So give it a shot if you haven't already. It's good for you, and it's not like it's brussel sprouts.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs