Monday, October 29, 2012

Zucchini Lasagna that's not lasagna at all how dare it call itself that

Anyway, I was browsing the internet when I came across a forum post for what was called "Zucchini Lasagna". It's supposed to be one of the carb-reduced recipes or whatever. I don't particularly buy into that nonsense because any diet that supports you eating a pound of bacon for breakfast doesn't sound like a diet to me. (In fact, the only diet I support is a healthy one combined with exercise.)

The twist in this recipe is that instead of pasta, you use strips of zucchini. According to the poster, if you peel the zucchini first, nobody can tell it's not pasta, which is totally a lie probably created on pinterest. I made the lasagna regardless because I like veggies, and I like cheese. I like them separate, and I like them together. So, even though this is some faux lasagna, I'm down to make it.

Ingredients:

2 medium zucchini
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cups ricotta
3/4 cups cottage cheese
1 egg
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp fresh grated Parmesan
2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
1 large bunch of fresh baby spinach
3 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

I sliced my zucchini pretty thin with a knife. I could have used a vegetable peeler, but I felt that might make it too thin. (You want them about 1/8-1/4 of an inch thick.)


Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch your zucchini in it for 1-2 minutes. In a skillet, heat the oil. Add two of the garlic cloves (chopped up), and the onion. Saute for 8-10 minutes, or until the onion is soft. 




In a bowl, mix the ricotta, cottage cheese and the egg. (You know what, you don't even really need that egg. I totally forgot about it until after I'd mixed everything, and I just got on with the rest of my life. It all tasted good in the end.) Add the remaining garlic cloves (chopped up), oregano, parsley, basil, and parmesan and mix.




Now, get all of your ingredients together. You might want to lightly grease the pan you're going to cook in, but that's up to you. Then you begin to layer your ingredients.  





Zucchini.


Baby spinach.


Tomatoes.


Cheese goo.


Onions and garlic bits.


Sauce.

Then repeat it until you hit the top of your container. 


When you're done, put some more parmesan cheese on the top because it's delicious and you love it. 

Cover it in aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes. Then take the foil off and keep baking for another 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.

Let it cool for about ten minutes before you eat it unless you want to burn your face. I know with Halloween coming up, some of you want to look authentic, so here's your opportunity. Who needs make-up when you can just do it with zucchini lasagna not lasagna?



1 comment:

  1. Ooooo! Good idea, I'll have to try that pasta swap some time :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs