Monday, October 8, 2012

All Tangled up in Asparagus

First off, let me report that the wedding went perfectly. Everything was beautiful, and I had a wonderful time. The food was catered by Chianti, a local Italian restaurant, and everything was sooo good. I'm going to try to recreate the chicken and artichoke dish. Well, to the best of my ability. The cake was a double layer, with the upper tier coconut, and the lower tier chocolate. I had a slice of the coconut, and it was perfect. It was moist and light. The coconut flavor wasn't too heavy.

The bride looked beautiful, the groom looked sharp, and I think the bridesmaids looked fabulous. (Granted, I am biased since I was one of them.)

Plus, I wound up with some excellent memories to laugh about for pretty much ever. Not to mention I have a really bad pick up line to use on no one ever.

Anyway, I have a simple recipe for you. It's not from the Beekman Blog, it's a different way to eat asparagus from my usual.

And by my usual, I mean cooked asparagus. I've cooked asparagus many different ways, but I've never tried it in a cold dish. So, when I heard of the idea of slicing asparagus really thin and using it as a sort of salad, I had to try it.



First, you have to shave the asparagus down. I used a vegetable peeler, and I held onto the thick end that you usually discard. Then I cut it off and discarded it.


As you can see, they're pretty thin. They also are wet because of the moisture being released from the asparagus.

In a side bowl, I mixed 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, about 1/4c asparagus, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice.

Once I had all my asparagus shaved, I put it in a bowl, poured the mixture over it, and tossed it.


There you have it - quick, easy, and delicioso.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs