Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Applesauce'd

I love making applesauce, and it's a shame that I don't do it more often because it's incredibly easy. You just boil down apples with sugars and spices while you do something else in the general vicinity. It practically makes itself for you.

Anyway, the Beekman cookbook has a recipe for applesauce that is really quite tasty.

It also suggests that maybe you try this with pears, but doing that requires you to add less water since pears have more on their own anyway. I decided to stick with apples because it's APPLEsauce.

I used two of the left over Cortlands, two Fuji apples that I bought earlier this week, and three Jonagolds that I bought today.


As you can see, I also have a cinnamon stick in there, and there is some sliced ginger. I added ground cinnamon (just a little bit) and vanilla later, but for now, this is it.


You let it boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally while you a) play with your cat b) grade papers c) watch Downton Abbey d) all of the above. 

Every now and then check to see how boiled down it is. I waited until it looked like it only needed a couple more minutes before I added the extra cinnamon and the vanilla.


And here it is, almost done with the cinnamon and vanilla.


And there's the finished product. I left the cinnamon sticks in since I didn't really know what to do with them, and I figured if I didn't eat them they could hang out with the applesauce. They all had just survived a brutal boiling crisis together, so it seemed cruel to tear them apart.

The apples would be like Michael on Lost, constantly screaming for the cinnamon sticks as if they were Walt.





2 comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs