Friday, November 16, 2012

Basic Pie Crust

Being able to make a good pie crust is important if you ever want to make a good pie. This Beekman recipe for their basic pie crust is perfect and easy to make. It's from the Spring section of the cook book, but it's required for the next recipe to be featured on the blog and for another future recipe, so it was made early. I feel like it's a recipe I'm going to be using a few more times as I work my way through this cookbook though.

The recipe can be found here if you scroll down further on the page. It's also found here as part of a recipe for sour cherry pie.

Ingredients:

2c flour (spooned into the measuring cups - it makes a difference!)
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
3 to 4 tbsps ice water

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives used scissor fashion, cut in the butter until pea-sized lumps remain. (I also precut the butter into small cubes before mixing it in to make the process easier.)

2. Gradually add the ice water until the dough begins to come together but doesn't clean the sides of the bowl. Add just enough of the ice water so the mixture holds together when pitched between two fingers. (I mixed it together with my hands.)



Cubed butter, it's super interesting.


And there's my pie dough. 

This recipe didn't yield as much as I expected it to, so if you want to use it for a larger pie, you should double the batch. Possibly even triple it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs