Monday, November 12, 2012

Red Wine and Spice Poached Pears

I thought I was going to totally hate this recipe because it sounded weird. Pears and shiraz? A dry bitter wine with a sweet pear?

But, this is possibly one of my favorite recipes so far. The smell of the wine simmering with the spices lasted for hours, and it made my home smell so good.

I'll have to thank Jess for coring the pears. She did an excellent job.

This recipe isn't online either, but here's a very similar one created by Ellie Krieger which can be found here.

Ingredients:

2 cups dry wine (We used a shiraz, but you could also use a merlot.)
1/4c plus 1 tbsp sugar
1 orange, juiced (In the Beekman recipe, instead of an orange there was allspice.)
1 strip orange zest
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
4 firm, ripe pears (We used Bosc.)

So, Jess cored the pears LIKE A BOSS, then Nick peeled them ALSO LIKE A BOSS.

We mixed all of the ingredients together with the pears and places them on a stove at a simmer for about 30 minutes. We wound up using far more wine than the recipe called for to cover them as much as possible. We also rotated them with a spoon as they cooked.


In the cookbook they suggested covering them with a circle of wax paper. I'm not quite sure why, but we think it was supposed to keep them down. How a piece of wax paper would manage that is beyond us, so we didn't do it. 



Steamy.

After about half an hour we removed the pears from the liquid and waited for it to boil down to a sauce.  


I really liked the color, and they smelled heavenly. A variation offered in the Beekman cookbook was to stuff  them with blue cheese, which I happened to have hanging around. Of course we did it. 

When the sauce was done, we let it cool for a bit and then poured it over the pears. They were delicioso.


Plus, they could look super fancy at a holiday party if you have that plating skill. I'm not sure if I do since I don't try to make things look like a professional photographer is going to take pictures of them for a magazine. I feel like that road leads to madness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs