Sunday, November 18, 2012

Baked Apple Dumplings

I know I've been doing mostly Beekman recipes lately, but I'm hoping to not only get all of the fall recipes done before the season ends, but to get them up here as well.

This recipe is featured right on their website .

Ours came out looking absolutely nothing like theirs. They were still mighty tasty though. (In fact, can I say that I thought ours looked better? Well, I did.)

Ingredients:

4 apples of your choice, peeled (We used honeycrisp. I really like those apples.)
Basic Pie Crust

Possible Fillings:

Walnuts, Pecans, Cinnamon, Brown Sugar, Unsalted Butter, Caramel Candy Cubes, Raisins, Cranberries

For our version, we used cinnamon, brown sugar, and unsalted butter.

Instructions:

1. Prepare your crust and cut into squares that are 10" x 10".

2. Core the center of the apples.

3. Now, butter the bottoms and sides of a baking dish. Place your dough inside, and then place the apples on top. Working one dumpling at a time, place your pre-cut dough in the dish. In the center of the dough, place the apple. Fill the center of the apple with the fillings.

4. Bring all of the edges of the dough up to the center top of the apple, twist, and pat to close completely.

5. Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar.

6. Place into the oven at 450 degrees and bake until the crust is golden brown. (45 minutes)

Optional: Create an eggwash using 1 large beaten egg with 1 tbsp water. Brush the eggwash over the top of the pastry.

Note: We found that our apples were waaaaay too large for a measly 10" of dough, so we cut the inches in half across the width to make a shorter apple.


See, these are my little halved apples with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter inside. You can see that I tried shaving down the sides first, but that didn't work, so I had to halve them as well.


And here they are all wrapped up with their eggwash on.


This is our final product with a fancy little apple garnish that Jessica made out of leftover apples thinly sliced. 

I think I'm going to try a version without the crust where I just bake apples with good stuff inside to see what happens. When I do, I'll let you know how it goes. (Just in case you were wondering, these were super good.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs