Friday, September 28, 2012

Harvest Fest - Goats, Turkeys, and One Sassy Llama

Picking up where I last left off, we went to the barn next, where we got to meet Farmer John.


He comes in at about 40 seconds. I think he's incredibly sweet, and it always breaks my heart to see him cry about his goats. During the tour, he told us about his different goats, like his top milk producer. He also described their ears with a reference to the flying nun, and said one had Princess Leia hair. Never have goats sounded more like divas. Meanwhile, the goats just desperately want to eat my coat and the scarf of the lady in front of me.

Girl, I love me some sleeves.

Oh man. Those people are wearing jackets. So many sleeves to eat!


When we left the barn, we saw the pigs, and then headed over to where Polka Spot was outside.


She was eating, and people kind of got excited (I am no exception.) and crowded the fence to call her over. 


She totally wasn't having it because she just wanted to get her munch on, so she headed back to the barn. Afraid that this would be my only opportunity to get a picture of myself with her, I passed my camera off to Nick and asked him to take a shot.


Yeah. It's impressive. While looking at this picture, imagine Nick saying, "No thanks guys. Bye!" in his best llama voice, and you get the full effect.

After this we were directed to their vegetable garden, which was perfectly laid out in neat rows. I really liked how the beds were raised, and next spring I think I might build a single raised bed garden for myself to plant a few vegetables in. Or maybe some flowers. My father is a huge gardener, and I can only hope he passed his green thumb onto me. That's genetically possible, right?


Look at how precise they are. So neat. They also had baskets of tomatoes out for people to take since they had an abundance of them this year. I ate a handful of cute little yellow ones only to later remember that I had just pet goats with those same hands with no washing in between. But then I figure, I eat three spiders a year in my sleep, and they must be filthy. It's not like spiders are preoccupied with grooming. They just roll around on dead things or poop, right? And I have yet to have anything terrible happen to me from a slumbering spider snack. Or at least I think so. 



I can't help it. I have a thing for fresh veggies, and I can't get enough of them. 

After the garden the official tour was over. We were given a free sample of their vanilla orchid goat's milk ice cream (delicioso), and then we could walk where we pleased until the bus returned.

Of course, we went back to see if Polka Spot was around. 



She was. I went over to the fence, and she came over to join me. I even got to pet her. (Not going to lie, she was covered with hay and junk, so I plucked some off of her.)


This pretty much made my day. Not gonna lie. 

Nick managed to bond with a turkey. I think the turkey really liked his shirt, because it kept coming over to him with all of its plumage on display. He was an older turkey, and he was missing some of his feathers, but I think it added to his charm.


Kinda matchy matchy twinsies, right?



Chickens kept photobombing the poor guy, but I finally got a picture of him in all of his finery, strutting his stuff.

Overall, the tour was perfect. To me, Harvest Fest was very much what Autumn is all about. Good crops, a chill in the air, and a sense of community sharing and coming together to celebrate what nature has to offer.

I'm looking forward to going back there next year. Or...maybe for the zombie walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs